Istanbul population soars to 13.5 million

One in five Turks live in Istanbul, new figures show.

18.2 percent of Turkey’s entire population, or more than 13.5 million reside in Istanbul, according to a recent annual demographic survey conducted by the Turkish Statistical Institute (TÜİK).

Istanbul also leads the list with respect to the rate of urbanization, as 99 percent of the province’s population lives in urban settings.

The study also revealed an increase of about 1 million people in Turkey’s overall population that has now grew to more than 74.7 million people. That jump corresponds to an annual population growth rate of 1.35 percent.

Males account for 50.2 percent of the overall population, while the remaining 49.8 percent consists of females, according to the survey.

Author: istanbul

Share This Post On